There seems to be a lot of different ways to get my pizza fix on keto and I really love this one! You can stuff it and top it with whatever you would like to get more or less calories/carbs. I stuffed mine with sausage and topped with cheese and pepperoni and it was fantastic!
6 mini (6 ounces total) portabella mushroom caps (or use larger caps if you’d prefer)
2Tbsp reduced sugar pizza sauce
1 lb sausage
1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
12 mini pepperoni slices
1. Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
2. Wipe the mushrooms clean (don’t rinse them, we are trying to minimize liquid here). Then remove the gills- this, too minimizes water content. I did this by using a pairing knife. But be careful, the mushrooms are very frah-gee-lay.
3. Pre-bake the mushrooms for 5 minutes. When finished, remove but leave oven on.
4. While pre-baking, brown sausage in skillet on stove top. I added some minced garlic and Italian seasoning for flavor. Once cooked, drain grease from sausage and then add 1-2 Tbsp of pizza sauce (be careful not to use too much- again we don’t want to many juices in the mushrooms).
5. Spoon sausage into pre-baked mushroom caps, being careful not break them.
6. Top with shredded cheese, pepperoni, etc.
7. Put your mushroom pizzas back into the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes- until cheese is brown. (I left mine in for about 15 minutes and that was probably a minute or two longer than I should have.
8. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving. I did use a fork and knife to eat these because it was a little too messy to pick up and eat.
(based on my filling/toppings)